Wednesday, April 14, 2010

April 14th, 2002

Friends,


I debated writing this particular post because it's my public blog, but so much of my work is driven by my personal life. We are (I am) in every way who my pictures are. They are direct reflections of my life, my personal self, my heart, my messages, my dreams. I've often spoken in interviews about using the camera to recreate my life as I would have had it be, or to create the 'ideal'. Those remarks cover the gamut of life as I've experienced it, but often speak most passionately from how my health has affected me over the years.

And so with a bit of internal debating, I wanted to post a little something.

On April 14th, 2002 - 8 years ago, today - at about 11:15 a.m., something happened in my life that would end up completely changing it and every day since. Though I don't want to go into what happened in detail as much as what happened after it... I will say that it created challenges and tribulations that I never would have or could have imagined having to endure, especially as just a teenager.

BUT, it's 8 years later, today. And, with that, I have a few very powerful messages that I'd would like to relay with 100% certainty and conviction.

And they're very simple...

1.) Don't ever ever ever ever ever give up. Especially on yourself.
2.) Don't listen to statistics. They are just numbers.
3.) Don't settle in life, on anything.
4.) Follow your dreams. They are yours.
5.) Believe that anything is possible, and that the will to live, to be, and to conquer anything is within you. It's your birthright.
6.) Take risks.
7.) If you believe it, you can do it.
8.) Be Yourself.
Have the courage to live.

Always.

Emerson once said: "Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons..."


Ashley | Bottle Bell

x

3 comments:

Samantha Nandez said...

I'm glad that whatever it is that happend you came out stronger and more confident. You words of advice are great, thank you. :)

Michael Van der Tol said...

 “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”
--Charles Swindoll

Thanks for sharing your insight.

Cheers!

MikeV

Unknown said...

Thank you Ashley! I truly believe in all of those. And I will put forth your powerful messages into my own life and dreams.

I am so glad you never settled. xx